So, I don’t know about where you live, but where I live we are starting to see some hints of cold weather. Please note, cold is a relative term. **Here in LA it means that is not only chilly at night time, but also a little chilly in the morning. We are still rolling in the 70s during the day.**
I decided to share with you a Cuddle Clan favorite recipe for Tortilla Soup. Does anyone remember those Chicken Soup for the Soul books, well this is Tortilla Soup for the Soul.
This is for all of y’all who keep posting pictures of fall/polar vortex making me oddly jealous that the weather never changes here. Every time I make this soup, not only am I reminded of a little piece of home, but it always tastes AMAZING. Bon Appetite!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 2 jalapenos, finely diced
- 4 oz can of green chillis diced
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 8 oz. (small can) tomato sauce
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 ear of corn kernels sliced off the ear
- 3 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless boiled in the broth and then diced into bite sized pieces
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped fresh cilantro leavesi
- Tortilla chips
- 1 avocado, pitted, sliced
- 1 cup shredded Monterrey cheese
Add the chicken broth and the chicken breasts and cook until done about 20 minutes. ( if you slice the breasts in half they’ll cook faster).
Remove chicken and slice into bite sized pieces.
Add tomatoes and beans, corn and spices into the pot and return to a boil.
Once at a boil lower heat to simmer and add chicken.
Add fresh cilantro to the pot.
Ladle into a bowl add tortilla strips, avocado slices and cheese.
For a few more great recipes, follow my amazing Dad’s Blog with his recipes. **hint hint, nudge nudge Daddio, it’s time to get back in the game! http://nomissedsteaks.blogspot.com **