When I first moved here one of my favorite professors said something that, at the time, I thought was very wise. “For all of you that just moved here, when a conversation gets awkward here in LA we don’t talk about the weather. There is no weather. We talk about the traffic, because there is always traffic.” This carried me through my first year of awkward friend dates, encounters, and even some terrible therapy sessions (I swear i’m good at my job).
But guess what professor: You’re Wrong.
Since I have been back from Thanksgiving break the weather is all anyone could talk about!
is appropriate attire (which it’s not, ever).
But it has actually be down right cold and RAINY.
Seriously, no one here knows how to handle this rain. In the past 3 days I have
- Seen a mud slide on the PCH. Which mostly looked like Gloppy from Candy Land was just wanting to take a swim in the Pacific, but was also kind of terrifying.
- Seen the meeting of two canyons completely drown a honda, while creating waves that look as though people were about to begin surfing.
- more dogs in rain coats than humans
- Had multiple little kids ask me things like, “Why does this what keep falling from the sky?” or “Can we play in the rain, we never get to see it?” **does no one teach about precipitation in this state**
- And seen an influx of celebrations/odes to the rain on social media.
Here are some of my favorites:
All and all, though it has been hilarious to watch a town react to what the rest of the world would just call drizzling like it is the end of the world. I am about done and want my sunny California back, drought and all.
my own social media input: